Characterization of Advanced Materials A Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
May 30- August 2, 2013
Materials Science and Engineering
Washington State University, Pullman WA
The REU program goal is to provide undergraduate students in materials science and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs. Working closely with faculty and graduate students, the participants will gain hands on experience with advanced characterization techniques in demand in the field today.
Who is eligible?
Participants must be currently registered at a two or four year college, and may not have received their Bachelor's degree prior to July 2013. Women and members of demographic groups traditionally underrepresented in engineering are particularly encouraged to apply.
Students at all levels of their undergraduate work are sought for this program, and majors such as materials science and engineering, as well as students from chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, math, and other technical majors are encouraged to apply. Yes, we take Freshmen to Seniors, we do hope to have a broad mix of students at various levels of their college careers, so don't hold back from applying just because you haven't had an MSE class.
So how do you get into this program?
First, you need to fill out an application. The application may be filled out electronically.
In addition to the form, you will need to assemble an application packet to e-mail to the program. Include in this packet:
- A one page or less description of your interests in materials science and associated fields (this should be e-mailed to Dr. Field) after the electronic registration is filled out.
- One letter of recommendations e-mailed directly to Dr. Field or mailed in a sealed envelope. If your recommender is sending e-mail, please make sure they include a phone number so we can call and discuss any questions we have.
- A copy of unofficial transcripts (scanned PDF or a screen shots of your online system) e-mailed to: Dr. Field.
- Application review will begin January 1, 2013. Offers will begin to be made in mid-February
- Applications will continue to be accepted until March 1, 2013.
If you can't get one of the documents e-mailed, you can mail hard copies. Send all application material by March 1st to:
- REU - CHARACTERIZATION OF ADVANCED MATERIALS
Mechanical and Materials Engineering
PO BOX 642920
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY
PULLMAN, WA 99164-2920